Monday, June 16, 2008

Funny how you can know someone a short time

My friend is leaving Abu Dhabi tonight. She is going back to London. She doesn't like the city, was making the best of it (and though I'd argued its finer points to her all week, Abu Dhabi is no London) until she found out a friend was really ill.

She was one of the first people I met here, and one of my favourites. Always up for a laugh and a good time. (Actually, my liver is the only part of me that is in a good mood right now) I just said good-bye to her and we were both nearly in tears.

I know I am in the middle of the desert and far from home and still in culture shock, so am probably a little sadder than usual, but I just did not expect to have to say good-bye to someone I really like - so soon after leaving everyone else I really like back in Canada.

No comments:

How to be a happy expat

Because a cloud wall makes you want to take a selfie.  After 10 years living in the UAE, some of that time happy, some miserable and ...